Sunday, November 12, 2017

When You Rise Up - Chapter 7 - Back to the Basics


The Superstition Mountains at Lost Dutchman State Park (Dec'16)
1.  Share what person(s) that you most admire or respect.  Why do you respect him or her?  What qualities do you see in their lives that you'd most like to have in yours?

I most admire the woman, Charlotte, who introduced me to Jesus at a young age.  She had a husband who was not saved, but she was the best example I know of a woman who loved her husband, respected him, always thought and presented him in the best way.  She prayed for him continually and shortly before he died of cancer, he accepted Jesus as his Savior.  She loved the Lord dearly, always prayed for my family, and took me to church throughout my younger years and when I would go back to my hometown, she would take me to church.  She was such a godly example.  She also was a godly wife & mother, even though her children were wayward and did not follow God, but she never gave up on any of them.  She continued to love them and pray for them through the rest of her life until she died in 2006 in her mid-90s.  She was always doing what she could to lead people to Jesus and disciple them.

2.  Read Psalm 15 - God, who gets invited to dinner at your place?  How do we get on your guest list?  “Walk straight, act right, tell the truth.  3-4 “Don’t hurt your friend, don’t blame your neighbor; despise the despicable.  “Keep your word even when it costs you, make an honest living, never take a bribe.  “You’ll never get blacklisted if you live like this.”  List the character qualities that you find from these verses describing the individual who is close to God?  Name one of these that is a strength in your life?  Which one is a weakness that you'd like to strengthen?
  • Walk straight
  • Act right
  • Tell the truth
  • Don't hurt your friends
  • Don't blame others
  • Despise the despicable
  • Keep your word
  • Make an honest living
  • Never take a bribe
Never take a bribe is something I think of this list is something I can say I do not do.  It's cost me a job and a bunch of things in life.  A weakness of mine is not to blame others.  I'm working hard at taking responsibility for my stuff and not blaming others, or making excuses.

3.  I Corinthians 15:3333 Don’t be fooled: “Bad friends will ruin good habits.” (ERV) reminds us not to be deceived and that "bad company corrupts good morals."  How can we avoid corruption from wrong friendships, but still demonstrate kindness?  Is it ever okay to disallow your children from certain relationships?

My daughter knows a number of people that are not of good character at school and though they are smart and show a good face to parents, they really are not nice people, nor do they have good character.  I told her to still show them kindness and respect, even if they do not deserve it.  Always be courteous, but you do not have to allow them to get closer to you.  Yes, it is okay to disallow one's kids from certain relationships.  I am grateful, however, that both my kids are pretty good at discerning good people in their lives and when those people turn into not such good people, they distance themselves from them.


4.  From the following verses, how do you think God feels about corrupting influences in our lives and that of our children?
  • Proverbs 4:14-15 - 14 Do not go where evil people go. Do not follow the example of the wicked. 15 Don't do it! Keep away from evil! Refuse it and go on your way. (GNT)
    • God doesn't want you to follow not good people.  Don't do as they do.
    • 2 Timothy 2:19-23 - 19 But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and “All who belong to the Lord must turn away from evil.”  20 In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. 21 If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.  22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.  23 Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights.  (NLT)
      • God wants you to make good choices & decisions as well as be around people that are not going to lead you astray.  As we get stronger in the Lord, this allows us to be more used by God for His purposes.  However, if your character is not good and you are easily led astray, much harder to be used by God in a good way.  Don't argue with fools.  It's foolish.
    5.  What thought or verse from this chapter was most helpful to you?  What will you do differently this week in your parenting as a result?

    The thought most helpful to me is how am I role modeling to my son and daughter how a woman and wife should be?  Am I treating my husband with love and respect?  Do they see me treating others with kindness?  Would I want my son to marry a woman similar to me?  Do I show my daughter what kind of woman she is to be and the type of man she is to marry?  Do I show my son the type of woman he should marry?  I need to continue to be more intentional about my role as a wife and mother, as well as a woman, daughter, aunt, sister, friend.
    Doris Web Developer

    No comments:

    Post a Comment