Friday, October 14, 2011

Genie in a Bottle


I think often in the American culture we deem God as a genie in a bottle.  We ask Him for something and He grants us our wish, or maybe not.  This is God!  The GREAT I AM!  The infinite being who created all the universe and beyond.  I think that was a fragmented sentence.  Uh oh.

God is not a genie in a bottle and He is the originator of creativity.  We can ask God for things and He can give us what we ask for, or not.  But, I think sometimes in our mere finiteness, we forget we are finite and God is infinite.


God may answer "Yes" to something we ask for, but it may not be given to us as we envision.  I asked God to help make me a better manager of money quite some time ago.  I'm not going to go through all the gory details, but in a nutshell, financially everything had to be taken away from me and then very little was given to me to manage.  God had to see that He could trust me with just a minute amount of money, and see where my heart was before He can trust me.  We're still in that phase now, but I see God graduating me soon to the next level.

It has been a super painful way to learn to be a better manager of money.  I would have to classify the past 2-3 yrs, in particular, excruciatingly painful, living on prayers and miracles.  I've had to learn that God is sufficient and He gives me grace to go through every single circumstance.  Though, frankly, I thought I would die through some of them or want to die because it hurt so very much.

Even though I am still in the woods and haven't cleared it yet, this part of the lesson is nearly over and on to the next step.  God has to see that He has my attention and my allegiance.  He had to strip me of all that superficial stuff and make me realize that HE is in control, NOT me. 

Many times, God had to bring all sorts of people, Scriptures, circumstances to remind me who I am - His favorite daughter.  I didn't seem to learn with the prior lessons, so He knew that if He cranked it up a bunch, He'd have my attention.  And through all this, I learned His sweet and tender mercies.  They are new every day.  Great is His faithfulness.

As the saying goes, we can become bitter or we can become better.  I'm choosing better.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment