Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Intentional Woman: Pursuing a Heart of Wisdom - Chapter 4 - Sarah - When Your Heart Leads Your Head


1.  Write down any thoughts or insights I gained from Chapter 4.  What was notable to me?
Throughout time, it's easy to trust in what we see, rather than something we cannot.  I know when things take too long, I tend to want to solve it myself.  It never works out when I do that.

2.  Certainly we see that Sarah was human.  She had times of courage and times of fear.  At the root of fear is the need to control.  Describe how Sarah tried to control her circumstances?  How is this not sound-mindedness?

Sarah misunderstood God, or so she thought.  So she took matters into her own hands.  When we lack faith in God, it's not having a sound-mind, rather a mind full of fear.  She probably thought, "How are we going to be parents of many nations when we don't even have a baby?  Well, maybe God didn't mean that I would be the true physical mom.  Maybe He met another woman would be the surrogate mom."  Going against God or undermining God is not sound because God has the most sound mind of all.

3.  What does the need for control tell us about our relationship with God?  What does Proverbs 3:5-6 (Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.

In all your ways acknowledge Him,  
And He will make your paths straight.) teach us about trusting God and being sound-minded?

It tells us that we do not trust God completely and that we are most likely being prideful, thinking our way is best.  Which, ultimately is not a sound mind.

4.  In what ways do I find myself controlling my circumstances and how does this affect my family or others?

I find myself expecting others to do as I say and when they don't I get upset.  Or, if things don't go according to my expectations, whether they be realistic or not, then I go crazy.  This really causes and wreaks havoc in our lives, messes up our relationships with each other.  It causes a great deal of hurt feelings, maybe things leading to lack of trust.  Not a good thing.

5.  What is the connection between trusting God and having a sound mind in these verses?  Which ones speak to my heart the most?
  • Romans 12:1-2Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (NIV) - There are so many cares from each day that DAILY we need to renew our minds and we do that through God's Word.  If we don't spend time in the Bible, studying it, or praying to the Lord, seeking Him, how will we know what He desires of us.  Then, it leaves us open and susceptible to all sorts of untruths (lies) and leads us to a very destructive way of life.
  • 2 Corinthians 10:5 We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ. (NLT) - We have to weigh our thoughts with that of the word of God.  Not every thought we have comes from God and we have to be able to tell what is from Him and what is not.  Things that cause us to be selfish, prideful, self-centered, wanting our way are not from God and this verse tells us to not just put aside, but to literally destroy those obstacles and mindsets and then train our mind to only keep thoughts that please the Lord.
  • Colossians 3:1-3Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. (NIV) - To have a sound mind, we need to not be so incredibly focused and stressed with "stuff".  Sure we have things we need to do, but not out of compulsion or control, rather out of love.  Is what we are doing pleasing God or is it causing us to be in a crazy frenzy?
  • James 1:5-6 - 5 Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind. (HCSB) - Having a sound mind means to ask God for wisdom in things.  The Bible says He will give us wisdom if we ask.  Often we don't ask or don't want to ask.  And when we ask, don't think He won't give us wisdom, He will.  However, when He gives us wisdom, we must apply it to our lives, otherwise, it's just useless junk.  Sometimes it will require great faith to act on certain wisdom we receive from God.
  • Isaiah 26:3-4“The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.  "Trust in the Lord forever, For in God the Lordwe have an everlasting Rock." - Steadfast means steady, calm, restrained, controlled.  This type of mind trusts in God, seeks after Him.  God is a Peace.  Trust means to lean on and that is we are to lean on God.


Making it Personal Journal

Write any thoughts or convictions that I have in regard to when your heart leads your head.  Has there been anything I considered too difficult for God and trusted in my own abilities rather than in Him?  What personal lessons concerning Sarah will I apply to my own life?  How will I be more intentional as a woman of God?

The Bible says the heart is deceitful above all things.  When are hearts are not aligned to God & His Word, we cannot follow our hearts or it will lead us in the wrong direction.  I sort of liken the heart at times to our feelings, which come and go.  For a long time, I trusted my own heart in my financial desires, as well as desires for a soulmate rather than really trust God's plan for me.  As I began to let go of those things and really seek Him, God began to transform my life.  It hasn't happened quickly, as some of my lessons have taken too long for me to learn, but it's happening.

Especially in times when I want to take matters in my own hand, I MUST seek God and what He wants me to do.  Raising teenagers has been challenging, but as I submit more to God, lean on Him, seek Him daily on my knees in prayer, the Holy Spirit does show me what to do and to partner with my husband on this.

Regarding my health, it's easy to be swayed by so many different things to help heal me, but I see the challenges I've faced and how God is helping me through them.  And, in turn, as I share these things with others, they are helping more than just myself.  Romans 8:28 is so true in that God has been changing things for His glory.

Instead of complaining and whining, just thank God for what He's doing in situations especially where I am frustrated and have no clear understanding of what is going on.  Praise God through the storms.  That's how I can be more intentional.  Praising the Lord invites His presence daily in our lives as Believers.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment