Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Intentional Woman: Pursuing a Heart of Wisdom - Chapter 12 - Intentional Purity




1.  Write down any thoughts or insights that you gained from reading this chapter.  What was notable to you from the reading?

I'm not sure that I got any further thoughts or insights from reading this chapter.  This is something I've been working on for quite a bit in the past few years, especially in this marriage, my third marriage.  My husband is very protective about me being proper in my dress in terms of modesty and now it's become my own as I now own it.  Also, in my thought life, God knows all my thoughts and I want even my thoughts to please God.  No one else can see my thought life BUT God and what is in your heart will eventually come out.  The circumstances I have been through have greatly given me a better perspective that helps keep me humble.  I like how the author spells out purity to be CHARACTER, CONDUCT and CLOTHING.

2.  We read in Hebrews 4:12-13 about God's ability to expose even the thoughts and motives of our hearts.  To digest this a bit more, along with these additional verses, what can we learn about God and our own hearts?  Are there any motives in your life that God is revealing to you that are not pure?

Hebrews 4:12-1312 For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the ideas and thoughts of the heart. 13 No creature is hidden from Him, but all things are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account. (HCSB)

God convicted me quite some time back that though I may act good on the outside, it is HE that sees my heart, which includes my thoughts and motives.  There were times I did outwardly good, but my thoughts were not good.  God has been working in this area of my life quite dramatically the past 3-4 yrs and though I'm still a long way from where I need to be, I've also come a long way in taking my thoughts captive and submitting them to the Lord.  It's not been easy.  We cannot hide from God because He sees and knows everything.

Imagine if God were sitting right there inside your mind, seeing all those wicked thoughts.  It's best to not have them.


1 Corinthians 4:4-5My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God. (NIV)

This is something I have been challenged with.  Sometimes I want to expose the darkness of others, but God says to look to myself and expose myself and my intentions.  When I have done that and called out my own sins, acknowledge them and that I want to change, then take actions to allow God to change me, then can my motives become pure.

James 2:1-41-4 My dear friends, don’t let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. If a man enters your church wearing an expensive suit, and a street person wearing rags comes in right after him, and you say to the man in the suit, “Sit here, sir; this is the best seat in the house!” and either ignore the street person or say, “Better sit here in the back row,” haven’t you segregated God’s children and proved that you are judges who can’t be trusted? (MSG)

I think I do okay at this.  I don't really care about the status or something of others and have tended to befriend all types of people.  Still, there is room for improvement.  I was probably better at this when I didn't have kids.  But with having kids and now whom are teenagers, I tend to judge people more as I don't want them to have bad influences.

3.  From 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (19 Or do you not know that your body is a [a]temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from [b]God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. NASB), we read that our life is not our own if we are born again in Christ.  We are ambassadors carrying the message of Christ through our lives.  Name all the ways that you are a messenger for Christ.  What does this mean in your life?

I am a messenger of Christ by my actions, how I live life.  If I say I love God, but show no love nor compassion towards others, always thinking of myself first or only of myself, how does that show the love of God.  I'm reminded that love of God is not easy nor convenient.  Many times I've had to be inconvenienced for others and honestly, sometimes I get mad or frustrated or angry or contemptuous.
When we do things joyfully and willingly, it gives a much different message.  This is something I am still working on and will continue to work on.  This one is a challenging one for me.

4.  Purity is also about modesty, in character, in conduct and in clothing.  What does this mean in your life?  What does it mean to be modest in character?  Modest in conduct?  Modest in clothing?  (Refer back to some of the definitions or look it up in the dictionaries for yourself.  Try to be specific about how you can apply this to your life.)

Purity for me means that when God looks into all areas of my life, they are pleasing to Him.  My character is what I would do if no one was watching.  I try to live this way and have gotten better at it as my love for the Lord has grown, but it's only by action . . . that is, faith put into actions.  Modest in conduct for me means just not being showy, not needing others to see everything I do and praise me.  Modest in my clothing means to not be too showy, focus too much on my appearance, but also be respectful.

It means to keep the sexual stuff for my husband and not display it for others to see, eliciting or inciting a sexual response, at least purposefully.  So, this means to intentionally wear clothing that still has me looking decent and good, but not for the purpose of sexual arousal.  Since I work from home, I always try to keep a neat, simple appearance.  However, I will dress up to meet my husband for lunch often, but not to a revealing part.  More beautiful than anything.

MAKING IT PERSONAL JOURNAL

Write any thoughts or convictions that you have in regard to this chapter.  What personal lessons on Intentional Purity will you apply in your own life?  What steps of action will you take to be more intentional in this area?

The Lord has been convicting me through the past few years about all sorts of things regarding purity that I've already made changes to.  For me, it's to continue in those things, also to help my kids have purity in their own lives.  They are teenagers and being bombarded with things from the outside, this is super necessary.  I am grateful they go to a school that wears uniforms.  That helps immensely.  But outside of school, we talk about purity, guide and correct where needed.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment