Monday, January 11, 2010

Controlling Your Temper


One of the Fruit of the Spirit is Self-Control. I was curious quite some time ago why it was Fruit of the Spirit, rather that "Fruits". Is it an aspect of the Holy Spirit? Needless to say, it is an aspect of a Christian's life.

Not that I've had a horrible temper or something most would deem as horrible to many, but it feels for me out-of-control. When my husband left us, and I was alone to raise 2 young kids, the feeling of distress and anger greatly overwhelmed me. In the past, I was used to going to the gym to workout my anger & frustrations, or any of those negative feelings. Heck, I used exercise to even expound on good feelings.

The Bible says that LOVE is not easily angered. There is a righteous anger also that is good. But, when we take anger too far, unwilling to forgive, allowing it to turn to bitterness or rage, that's not good.

Today began with a series of things from incessant whining. Perhaps I haven't put the boundary on my 6-yr old son firm enough that whining, complaining, murmuring, manipulation are not good forms of resolving issues. He often stomps his feet when he's displeased with something. At first it seemed cute a few months ago, but now, later, it is anything but cute.

As he started off this morning with the feet stomping rather than asking for help, it just got worse from there, leading to my having to discipline him. It's never fun to discipline and I will do everything I can to not have to discipline, but sometimes that is the only thing that will get his attention.

As a series of things went wrong in my business, dealing with other companies & personnel, I was left very frustrated. As I continued my dealings and feelings of frustration mounting, I did my best to maintain my composure. Honestly, I don't remember if I asked God to help me or not, but He did. God never fails.

However, as I multi-tasked between doing my work, helping out another person, helping each of my kids do their homework, both of which were having different issues -- on the phone, on my computer, each kid needing my time, I felt completely overwhelmed. On top of that, this lingering cough being so bothersome didn't add to things.

As I sent my kids to bed angrily, after having to discipline twice in short period of time due to their continued disobedience, as well as sloppiness in doing their homework, I really was fed up. This isn't the prettiest picture, but as I briefly took a minute to go to the bathroom, I realized it was the enemy that was wreaking havoc from the get go with my son, my business stuff, my daughter, my beau, and many of the people I was coming in contact with this day.

I began praying a prayer of rebuke against the enemy and asking God to come in and to reign His peace over this household. I began to take spiritual authority over things. I'm not sure if I feel a peace at the moment, but I know I have spiritual authority in Jesus Christ over any demonic agents sent to mess with us.

Thank you God that I did not curse anyone, or use foul language. Those are some things I have done in the past when angry, but as I relinquish all of me, including my mouth, every feeling that I'm experiencing and just giving everything for God to deal with, afterall, it's His battle, not mine, then He can come in and do what He does best -- be God.

Patience isn't developed in the absence of conflict & frustrations, but it's when we are in those trying times and CHOOSE to exercise patience is when those muscles are strengthened.

I called my children back and had us go to the Word of God and began reading in Psalm. We prayed, did our gratitudes. It probably would've helped if we sang some love songs to God, to really get recentered on Him. Lord, be Lord of our lives.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment