Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Screwtape Letters (by C.S. Lewis) - Introduction


This summer I decided more than a month ago that my 2 teenage kids and I would do the study guide for teens on The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.  If you haven't read this or listened to the audio, it's really well worth reading or listening to.  The premise of this book is based on how the devil trips up Christians and I really think it's so well-written.  C.S. Lewis is a prolific and profound writer.  He was once an atheist.  This book is a satirical, fictional novel that addresses Biblical Christian theological issues such as temptation, sin, resistance.

Having a 16-yr old, soon to be 17-yr old and one final year of high school left, I am faced with wondering if I've prepared my daughter enough for the "real world".  Things look much differently now than when I graduated from high school more than 30 yrs ago and embarked on my own.  Many things that were wrong were called wrong then, but now many things that are wrong are right and finding that those things that are right (meaning good as defined by the Bible) are shunned and there has been persecution of Bible Christians now more so in the United States than ever.

Granted, persecution for Christians in the U.S. is still nothing like that of many parts of the world where it's really bad even to the point of death or a tortured death.  It's important for my kids to be able to see the ploys of the devil and to know how to make good decisions that please & honor God, as well as better understand what they believe.

I'll be sharing this journey we are embarking on this summer through the 31 LETTERS of this book.  Each of my kids and I will read each letter separately, as well as answer the questions in the study guide for that letter.  Then, we will come together to discuss the letter and the study guide for that letter.  I will share my portion of the study guide.  Truly I am excited to be doing this with my two teenagers.

Hopefully this study will be very beneficial for them and life changing as they go on to make decisions and choices in their lives as young people.  It is a challenging world we live in and I want to equip them with not only practical tools to live in the every day world, but more importantly, spiritual tools to help them stand strong in this evil day.  To help them have a solid walk with the Lord.  In some past summers, we've read the Bible together on multiple occasions in different translations, as well as chronologically.  We've had many great discussions.  Now it's time to dig a little deeper in this area of sin & temptation and how to combat this.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment