Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Intentional Woman: Pursuing a Heart of Wisdom - Chapter 9 - Hannah: The Prayers of a Righteous Mom



1.  Write down any thoughts or insights that you gained from reading this chapter.  What was notable to you from the reading?

Hannah's despair and hope made her act wisely.  I would suppose all the time she was barren gave her opportunities to draw closer to God, to seek Him, to better understand His Word.  I think though she felt sad and depressed, she trusted God with her cares, which was to be able to have children.  Though it seemed like it would never happen, she knew without a doubt that God loved her.  That is real trust when things do not go your way and it seems like everyone around you is prospering but you.  I can relate to Hannah in many ways.

2.  How are mothers to be God's tool in the lives of their children?  How are we to be instruments of His grace, mercy, love and forgiveness?

We're to teach our children to be patient, to be wise, to think before they do things, to learn and understand God's Word as we role model this.  As we walk through life, teach them how to lean on God.  There would be times when we need to impart grace, when it's not deserved.  Other times we need to show mercy, love or forgiveness.  These are not easy, but when we do these things, God shines.

As a mother, teaching and showing these things, talking about them and teaching is not easy.

3.  Explain how Hannah differed from Rebekah in the way she handled disappointments?  How did these women different in their dependence on the Lord?  In their parenting and marriages?

Hannah really trusted God.  She had many disappointments in life and learned really to praise and lean on God.  While Rebekah was used to getting her way.  Despite being so blessed by God, she wanted more and didn't appreciate all that she had been blessed with.  Hannah chose to trust God while Rebekah took things in her own hands.  Hannah wanted to honor God, while Rebekah cared more about getting her own way, even being deceitful in her own marriage.  Hannah would not compromise her relationship to God for anything and would honor her word.

4.  Prayer is one of the five musts of intentional mothering.  Hannah modeled persistent prayer for us well.  Rather than scheming with her own plans, she was on her knees seeking God.  What can we learn about the heart of God from these verses and the importance and power of prayer in our lives as women?

  • Psalm 9:9-10 - "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you."  ---->  God is our safe place.  He will not forsake His people.
  • Psalm 55:16-18, 22 - "As for me, I call to God, and the Lord saves me.  Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.  He rescues me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me." -----> God is the only one that can truly rescue us from all battles/wars.
  • Psalm 61:5-8 - "For you, God, have heard my vows;  you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.  Increase the days of the king’s life, his years for many generations.  May he be enthroned in God’s presence forever; appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.  Then I will ever sing in praise of your name and fulfill my vows day after day." ------> God protects, lengthens our life.  Only He can do that.  When we make a vow, we must honor our word.  One of the ways of showing that we fear God is to keep our vows.  The blessings of God can continue to future generations.
  • Psalm 85:6-8 - "Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?  Show us your unfailing love, Lord, and grant us your salvation.  I will listen to what God the Lord says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants—but let them not turn to folly."  -----> God will bring in life to lifeless or hopeless situations, but we must place our trust in the Lord and rejoice with Him.  God's love is infinite.  It is only God that brings true peace.
  • Psalm 100:4-6 - "Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." -----> In order to have God's presence, you must be in a mode of praise, worship and thanksgiving to Him.  So this means, complaining, whining, griping does not draw God's presence.
  • Psalm 139:23-24 - "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." -----> God tests us.
5.  Write out one specific way God answered prayer regarding children in your life.  As you think of this, attach a Scripture that might correspond to the prayer or the answer.

I Timothy 3:4 - "He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect."

Though our children aren't always obedient, we are learning to teach our children to obey and the method in doing this is to gain respect from our children, but to obey immediately and willingly.  We find they are way more obedient now than when I was a single mom.  This hasn't been easy but we see God helping us and doing it, transforming our children, as well as us.

Making it Personal Journal
Write any thoughts or convictions that you have in regard to this lesson.  What personal lessons from this chapter on Hannah's life will you apply in your own life?  What steps of action will you take to be more intentional in this area?

I think I am a lot like Hannah in that I am a prayer warrior.  But even at that, I still have much room to be a prayer warrior.  Now nightly before I go to bed, I do kneel beside my bed and pray for my husband, kids and others consistently.  Because there are so many bad influences and the world is so wicked, calling things that are wrong right, I cannot fight this battle myself.  The best battle is on my knees in prayer to the Lord every day.  Sometimes I really don't feel like praying, but there is something awesome and very humbling about kneeling in prayer to the Lord.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment