Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Intentional Woman: Pursuing a Heart of Wisdom - Chapter 10 - The Intentional Sensible Homemaker



1.  Write down any thoughts or insights that you gained from reading this chapter.  What was notable to you from the reading?

When I am not being "sensible" in my life intentionally, my children see this and they see me as a role model whether I want them to or not.  I see they have adopted some things I am not sensible in like being aware and conscious about things.  They have now formed a bad habit of this and it's not good.  I know they got this from me.  So, I must now undo this and I am working on it.

As far as taking care of the physical home, this really isn't an issue for me.  I'm fairly organized, keep it fairly clean with things in their place.  Provide a safe environment for my family to come home to that is inviting.  And, I'm working now on really my own behaviors in being sensible.

2.  From this chapter, find all the synonyms for the word sensible.  Which are strengths for you?  Which are weaknesses?  Why do you think you struggle in the area of your weaknesses?
  • Discretion
  • Discrete
  • Sound-Minded
  • Self-Controlled
  • Temperate
  • Curbing One's Desires/Impulses
  • Wise
  • Prudent
  • Shrewd
  • Conscious
  • Aware of Something
  • Practical
  • Moderate
  • Calm
  • Productive
My Strengths - Curbing one's desires/impulses, Shrewd, Practical, Productive
My Weaknesses - Calm, Conscious, Aware of Something, Temperate, Self-Controlled, Sound-Minded

The "Weaknesses" are a challenge for me because they all take intentionality and thinking.  Sometimes with my words I can be quite tactless, saying what is on my mind.  Or, I can also do quite the opposite in not speaking up in a timely manner, then that causes issues, too.  I am working on being more aware of things and remaining calm.  I am also easily excitable, which can be good, but when something is upsetting me, it's not.  Working on deep breathing, praying, using Bach Remedies, EFT.  But, I have to realize first that I'm going towards being upset and be proactive to tackle this issue and stay calm.


3.  Oikouros also means to be a guard of the home.  What do these verses teach us to guard?  How could these apply to our role as homemakers?

Psalm 39:1 - I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked.” (NIV)


Guard our actions and our words.

Psalm 141:3Lord, set up a guard for my mouth;keep watch at the door of my lips. (HCSB)


Guard our words.

Luke 12:15 Speaking to the people, he went on, “Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot. (MSG)


Guard becoming greed.  Remain humble and grateful.

Luke 21:34 Be on your guard, so that your minds are not dulled from carousing, drunkenness, and worries of life, or that day will come on you unexpectedly (HCSB)


Guard your minds.  Keep them sharp and aware, intentionally doing what pleases God.

2 Peter 3:17Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawlessand fall from your secure position. (NIV)

Guard being prideful.  Keep humble.

1 John 5:1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Messiah has been born of God,and everyone who loves the Father also loves the one born of Him. (HCSB)


Guard our relationships with God and make sure we love as God loves.

4.  Which tip for practical homemaking will you put into practice?  What heart lesson can you learn from this?

I already put all the practical homemaking tips into practice - 1)  Don't Procrastinate; 2)  A Place For Everything and Everything In Its Place; 3) Practice the Ant Principle; 4) Clean As You Go; 5) Connect the Physical Work With the Spiritual Work

I really do great with all these and currently I am working on teaching these for my kids and husband.  Somehow they find it much more challenging to do this, but it could be that I do such a great job on this.  I need to gently remind and help my family learn these habits and not take for granted that I do these.

5.  Share another practical homemaking tip that you have learned that you can share with the group.

To avoid clutter, if you bring something home, you must get rid of something either donation, giving away, throwing away.  Constantly doing this will avoid clutter.  I've done this for quite a few areas of my home and it really helps lessen overwhelm.  Also, ask yourself before you buy or acquire something, do you really need this?  Even if it is free does not mean you need it.

Once you get an area decluttered and organized, don't let it become cluttered again.  Practicing the ant principle works well here.

MAKING IT PERSONAL JOURNAL

Write any thoughts or convictions that you have in regard to this chapter.  What personal lessons concerning The Intentional Sensible Homemaker will you apply in your own life?  How will you be more intentional as a woman of God?

I think the 2 main things are to be conscious/aware and to be calm.  When I'm not calm, it really creates storms and a lack of peace in our home.  This is something I've been working a lot on for months now.  Slowly making progress.  Being calm and aware will allow me to be more intentional, draw me closer to God, and allow me to have even better relationships with not only my husband and children, but others outside the home.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment