Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Intentional Woman: Mary: Seeing God - Chapter 13




1.  Write down any thoughts or insights that you gained from reading this chapter.  What was notable to you from the reading?

Mary had favor with God because she had childlike faith to trust God.  Though the whole thing was so strange and bizarre, I bet she knew God's Word very well and hid it in her heart so that she could rely on it during her many times of probably worry and anxiety.  What she was going to go through and did never happened to another human being ever and never will.  I have a long way to go in my faith and relationship with God to have this kind of faith.  I am awestruck at the woman, wife, and mother she was to have gone through all this.  So many things to learn from her.

2.  In what ways did Mary demonstrate purity of motive, message and modesty in her life?  (You may want to review the definitions of purity from the previous chapter)

Mary could have questioned God and refused to have faith.  I mean, who was she to listen to a kid (Jesus), but she did.  I'm sure at time Mary was frustrated with Jesus as all mothers can be with their own children.  I have been.  The Bible doesn't talk about this too much other than she worried about Jesus and some of what He did.

It's a challenge for me to truly understand purity of motive.  But the modesty, I'm sure in that day as well as in all ages, women can talk and gossip.  For her not to complain and gossip, keeping a tight reign on her mouth must have meant she had a super close relationship with God and really a complete trust, even though she could not see what God was doing.  She kept the big picture in mind, which I believe helped her stay the course and make good decisions in her life, as well as that of her family.

3.  Though Mary's spiritual journey was one-of-a-kind, in what ways were her faith lessons like ours?

We can't see the full path ahead of us, or sometimes even the steps.  The end goal we see.  We will be with Jesus in Heaven.  But all the stuff between now and Heaven?  That can be quite challenging and we must rely on God the whole way.  When we take our eyes off our Creator, then that's when we have fear, make wrong decisions, and a host of other bad things.

There will be sorrow and pain, but it's all for a greater purpose.

4.  Growing in purity opens our eyes to see God working, but sometimes we encounter spiritual blindness in our lives.  What can you learn about spiritual blindness from these Scriptures?

Deuteronomy 16:19You must never twist justice or show partiality. Never accept a bribe, for bribes blind the eyes of the wise and corrupt the decisions of the godly. (NLT)

We all can have biases and we must guard against this.  Ask God to reveal to use what we are blind in and make things right.

2 Corinthians 4:4among them the god of this world [Satan] has blinded the minds of the unbelieving to prevent them from seeing the illuminating light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. (AMP)

It is Satan that causes the blindness, but God can remove it if we ask God to.  We should see clearly and do what is right in God's eyes, but if we can't see that we are in the wrong, then we can't admit that we are wrong.  God must open our eyes, but He won't do it unless we ask.

Ephesians 4:17-1817 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. (NIV)

Man's way of thinking is contrary to God's.  We must test and see if what we are doing is what God desires.  We must read, study the Bible and gain better understanding to see how our actions, thoughts, words all compare to God's Word.  Continually living in purposeful, sinful ways hardens our hearts and that does not draw us closer to God.

1 John 2:11But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes. (NASB)

God is love, so if we don't love others, then how can we say God is in us?  However, God in love also corrects and disciplines, so if there are other people committing sins against us and God, those aren't to be excused.  We are to confront others in love.  That is quite challenging for me, at least with some people.

Psalm 146:8 The Lord opens the eyes of the blind.  The Lord lifts up those who are weighed down.  The Lord loves the godly. (NLT)

The Blind can see and be healed, if we would reach out and truly ask Jesus to heal us.  I know I can be so blind in so many things, but I know God is restoring my sight and that I am to walk in this sight, not spiritual blindness.

5.  In what areas of your life do you need to see God?  Is there some area of spiritual blindness that keeps you from seeing God in your life?

I think I have spiritual blindness in God's ability to use me to make money, and for evangelism.  I need God so much in these areas.

MAKING IT PERSONAL JOURNAL

Write any thoughts or convictions that you have in regard to this chapter.  What personal lessons from Mary's life will you apply in your own life?  What steps of action will you take to be more intentional in this area?

It's been incredibly challenging for me to see how God can still allow me to really make money after all the mistakes I've made.  Mary knew in the end that Jesus would die, and she had to completely trust God that this was not the end, no matter how painful it was.  I think I have allowed the pain of all the financial stuff I went through to hold me back and listening to people, though they have my best interest at heart, that always play it safe and just settle.

Some actions I am currently taking are going through professional EMDR counseling sessions to get rid of my fears to help me get back on track and not be fearful about making money, no matter how God deems me to do this.  This time I will be focused on God, not the money or anyone else.  But, it's taking so much time.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment