Monday, April 24, 2017

The Intentional Woman: Esther: Trusting in a Sovereign God - Chapter 16


The Grand Tetons (Summer 2014)

1.  Write down any thoughts or insights that you gained from reading the text and the lesson this week.  What was notable to you from the reading?


The text reading was really short.  Thankfully last week we had a lesson on this from M.  What was notable to me was that Esther was a very godly woman and her husband wasn't.  However, Esther still submitted to her husband and his authority over her where it didn't conflict with God.  I have a lot to learn about submission from Esther.  It's often not easy to submit, at least for me.  God totally blessed and protected Esther as well as her people due to her obedience.

2.  What can you learn about Esther's appeal to her husband?  What did she do?

Esther appealed to her husband through her submission and her ability to respect her husband.  She listened to wise advice and was patient, methodical.  She trusted really in God and was willing to take the negative consequences, if there be that.  She was respectful the whole time.

3.  Do you have like-minded Titus 2 women to help you pray and think wisely about your marriage and mothering?  If not, will you pray for God to bring a prayer partner to your life?

Yes, I do.

4.  How did Esther adapt to and support her husband's leadership and customs without compromising God's Word?  In what ways has God called you to adapt and support your husband's leadership?  List the ways here:

Esther obeyed the King, but she was willing to accept even death for approaching the King.  God calls me to be an encourager to my husband, as well as to let him have the last word on things.  It's not easy, though.  And, God calls me to support my husband and his many hobbies, whether I agree or not.  I often think my husband gets obsessed with things, but learning that as I submit to my husband with a GOOD ATTITUDE, that will win him more to more reasonableness than me having a bad attitude.

Every husband wants to be encouraged, respected, know they are valuable and can make their wife happy.  Every husband wants his wife to believe in him, to trust in him.  It's not easy, but when I keep my focus on God, I can trust my husband and be the wife he needs me to be, and the kind of wife God wants me to be for my husband, to be patient, be kind, and all those other things 1 Corinthians 13 talks about.

5.  Submitting to authority is really a heart issue.  Children resist parental authority.  As we grow, our sinful nature tends to resist whatever authority God brings into our lives to teach us to live under His authority.  Sometimes it is a fear issue, sometimes pride, sometimes wanting to be in control and sometimes just rebellion.  Can you identify any of these areas in your heart when you struggle with submission to your husband's God-given authority?

I am often challenged to submit via my attitude when my husband goes overboard in his "interests".  I'm much more practical, but I know my husband finds enjoyment in his various hobbies and interests and wants me to be supportive here.  My attitude often gets in the way and I really need to be continually before God repenting and asking Him to help me be patient with my husband, to love him in the way he needs to be loved.

MAKING IT PERSONAL JOURNAL

Write any thoughts or convictions that you have in regard to this chapter.  What personal lessons concerning Esther will you apply in your own life?  How will you be more intentional as a woman of God?

Submission is done with a willing attitude, not with a rotten attitude.  I am working on this, but God is identifying a number of areas where my attitude leaves a lot to be desired.  God is keeping me on a short leash here and quickly convicting me when I cop an attitude.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment