Friday, December 30, 2011

Fri, 30-Dec-2011 - Hold My Hand


This photo reminds me of a walk I took the other day with my 8-yr old son in a setting very opposite of this. There is no area anywhere where we walked that looked like this, but that's alright. The point was that I got a walk with my son.

It was a precious time with only he and I, walking, and, at times, holding hands. There was such a sweetness and innocence to the whole hour or so we walked. My mind flashed back to when he was a toddler, and his hand would be high into the air, holding mine, as he struggled to keep up with me.

Now, as an 8-yr old, that no longer was the case. He was actually walking very briskly, much faster than me. We talked about all sorts of things, including his dad and his feelings about him. My heart felt so sad, but it was good for him to talk about it.

We enjoyed the crispness of the evening, not even mindful of the cars zipping by as we walked near the freeway (the park is near the freeway). We were in our own little world, just enjoying some quiet moments between mommy and son, with no distractions or intrusions.

Being a single mom of 2, usually I have both the kids at the same time, and we share in everything. However, those moments alone with only one child, being able to devote my whole attention to an audience of one, is always special.

I think about my relationship with God, in how He loves that audience of ONE, where He is the ONE. He craves and desires each of His children individually, desiring that closeness, that intimacy. He gets joy when we can tune out the distractions and just focus on Him, being in His presence, basking in the One who created us.

I'm reminded of an old Baptist hymn, He Walks With Me . . . "And He walks with me and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known."

God desires for us to walk with Him and to talk with Him.

I'll have to admit that as the holiday season came upon in November, as well as sickness, so much on my plate with activities & social things, my daily walks with God has waned, often falling to the wayside with a combination of laziness.

In a discussion last night with M, he had expressed about not feeling all that great because he hadn't been exercising due to an injury. My exercise has been sparse & intermittent, but I know when I'm regularly exercising moderately and not some of the insane things I do, that I feel great.

Similarly when I'm daily walking with God through prayer, spending time in His Word learning about Him, worship through song & gratitude, there is a greater connectedness I feel with my Creator.

Lord, hold my hand again and let's take a stroll through Your garden. I need Your Presence not for anything happening in my life, rather I just desire and crave for that time with You again, to feel Your touch upon my life and to see with Your eyes.

Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment