Monday, May 1, 2017

The Intentional Woman: Intentional Faith - Chapter 17


Monarch Butterfly at Boyce Arboretum
1.  Write down any thoughts or insights that you gained from reading this chapter.  What was notable to you from the reading?
There was so much in this chapter as she talked about Blasphemy, Holiness, Faith, Trust, Submission, Putting our Hope in Jesus, Girding our Minds, Not to Conform to This World, Be Sober in Spirit.  I think the 2 things that really stuck out to me were Holiness and Girding our Minds.  I'm finding when I can take control of my thoughts and make them obey Christ, things go WAY better than if I just let them run a muck.

This past weekend, I really intentionally focused on this despite physically not feeling well and the Lord just blew me away with how my husband responded.  A soft answer DOES turn away potential wrath, thwarts arguments.  Also, having good body posture that is inviting and friendly is a part of how one responds, as well as quietly with a gentle spirit doing things.  It was a super busy weekend and there was so much to do.

In my spirit I was quiet and gentle (1 Peter 3:4).  I did not entertain any voices of complaining, whining, or pity party (2 Corinthians 10:5).  I focused on the tasks at hand with a cheerful attitude and though I was feeling physically in some pain and like I was starting to come down with something, a merry heart does a body good (Proverbs 17:22).

Having a Christlike attitude without telling my husband, but showing it quietly through the whole weekend really made him take notice.  He made several comments about this in a god way and that made him feel really respected and loved.  Thank you, God!



2.  Describe how your faith in God is demonstrated in your marriage relationship?  In your mothering?  Are there any areas where you have been convicted to be obedient?

As I spend daily time in God's Word, time in prayer, especially on my knees, God is doing some really awesome things.  He's transforming how I see others and seeing them more through His eyes.  Wanting change in others begins with changes in my own life.   My kids and husband are way more responsive when I'm being intentionally calm in how I communicate rather than yelling.

God has convicted since last week that my spirit was not gentle and quiet, so I've been allowing God to work on me in that and I'm seeing some pretty good, positive results.  It's given me power to endure through some long days filled with lots of stuff to do with a godly attitude.

Also, I've been doing a lot of SOAKING in prayer and this has been quite amazing and transforming.



3.  How is disobedience to God's commandments unloving, dishonoring and even blasphemous to the Lord?

It means that we are evilly doing things and that's not good.



4.  In what areas of your life are you like the father with the demon-possessed son, who said to Jesus, "I believe!  Help my unbelief!"

Since I can be a fairly high strung person, to have a quiet, gentle spirit seems so far-fetched.  I definitely cannot do it in my own human power and need the Dunamis, Resurrection power of the Holy Spirit.


5.  From 1 Peter 1:13-16
(13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”) write out your own application of these faith action steps.  How will you be obedient strengthening the faith of your calling as a wife, mother and woman of God?
  • I will gird my mind for action by . . . only entertaining thoughts that please God.
  • I will keep sober in my spirit by . . . by not entertaining entitlement mindsets & thoughts.
  • I will fix my hope in God by . . . memorizing Scripture to remind me of God's promises.
  • I will not conform to the world by . . . taking a lazy way to do things, rather I will take God's way.
  • I will be holy in my behavior by . . . really listening to others, praying about my responses, and doing things in kindness & love.

MAKING IT PERSONAL JOURNAL

Write any thoughts or convictions that you have in regard to this chapter.  What personal lessons concerning Intentional Faith will you apply in your own life?  How will you be more intentional as a woman of God?

I'm going to continue when I sleep to do SOAKING stuff as I'm finding this really healing.  But, I am going to Intentionally LISTEN to others without having to interject my own opinions and thoughts.  And, I'm going to continue to destroy every conversation in my head that with the Power & Authority of Jesus Christ that is ungodly, that tells me I am entitled, and humbly lay down my rights so that I can see true transformation take place in my life and then others, too.
Doris Web Developer

No comments:

Post a Comment